We're Fear Free Certified
Our Animal Care Clinics in Algonquin, Geneva, South Elgin and Hoffman Estates are all Fear Free Certified because we want your pet to feel at home when they come to see us. Vet visits can be challenging or even downright impossible for pets prone to fear and anxiety. Furthermore, they simply don't understand what is going on and are limited in how they can communicate their feelings. The best we can do for our animal friends is take steps to reduce their fear by helping them associate vet visits with positive things, like treats and cuddles.
What It Means to Be Fear Free
Becoming a Fear Free Certified animal hospital requires team members who are committed to learning new techniques and strategies to help patients relax and even enjoy their visits. Some of these include:
- Avoiding initial eye contact with our patients
- Reducing loud, abrupt and/or stressful noises
- Playing soft, calming music
- Providing non-slip surfaces for standing on
- Using pheromones and aromatherapy to create a more soothing environment
- Calming patients using gentle pressure with a towel or compression garment (a Thundershirt might help)
- Prescribing medications or supplements to reduce anxiety
Why We're Fear Free
Our team members have undergone extensive training to become Fear Free Certified Professionals. Pets that are fearful are also difficult to treat, and our goal is to improve patient care by making it easier for pets to receive essential treatments. We want to keep as many pets healthy as possible, and the Fear Free initiative helps us do just that. If you'd like to learn more about Fear Free, visit fearfreepets.com. You can also reach out to us if you have questions about how we can help your pet!