Here at Animal Care Clinic, we know how important it is to our clients that are feline friends use their litter boxes and not our carpets, clothing, or rugs. It can ruin the animal human bond when this is not happening. Here’s some helpful tips to prevent a problem and keep our feline babies using the litter box.
1) We should have one box more than the number of cats we have in our house. For example: if you have three cats you need four boxes.
2) These boxes should be spread throughout the house and not all in one location. There should also be a box on each level of our homes. This gives our cats options and if there is a reason they don’t want to go in one area of our home, they can use a box in another location.
3) Most cats prefer an uncovered litter box. We want that box to ideally be 1.5 times the length our cat so they have adequate room to move around and dig without being too crowded.
4) Most cats also prefer unscented and scoopable litter. We don’t recommend the use of litter box liners or self-cleaning litter boxes. These can scare our kitties and make them start looking for other options to eliminate in or on.
5). Litter boxes should be scooped at least once a day and, at least monthly, emptied completely and washed with warm soapy water. Don’t use bleach or harsh chemicals, this could actually deter your cat from using the box.
6) Be sure to use an adequate amount of litter. Our kitties like to dig! We should keep our litter boxes with at least 2 to 3 inch of litter in them.
If you are doing the things above and your cat is not using the box it could indicate a medical problem. If this happens it’s best to make an appointment with one of our veterinarians at the Animal Care Clinics located in Algonquin, Hoffman Estates, Geneva, South Elgin, and Pingree Grove, Illinois. We can we be sure your cat has no health issues and help get your cat back on the right track!